Sunday, December 16, 2007

I'd Tell you I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

I've been dying to read this book, but I'm a broke college student so I had to wait until I found it in paperback. Last week, I was successful and I took it home excited to read it. But it was exam week and I had to put it off. On the second to last day of exams I decided to read a chapter of it. Needless to say, I didn't study much for my last exams.

Summary: Cammie Morgan is a sophomore at boarding school. They say that the school is for girl geniuses, but it's really for future spies. This year she finally gets to start learning about covert operations, but on an undercover assignment for class she meets a boy from town and falls for him. But she can never tell him who she really is. To make matters more complicated, the headmistress (Cammie's mother) has made a controversial decision to accept a student into the sophomore class. The girl isn't very nice and even better, she's rooming with Cammie and her friends.

Other: This book has all the nice details that made me fall in love with the Harry Potter series. For example, the girls learn fourteen different languages, and in order to make sure that they sound like naturals they speak a different language and dialect at each meal. A sign outside the dining hall will say "English-American" or "Chinese--Mandarin", etc. It's the little touches that made me fall in love with this book. Also, it is pretty exciting, but it's not superficial. I cried at a few parts.

Favorite moments:
1. The school gets a new young, hot teacher and all the girl go ga-ga.
2. The Red-Alert makes the new students crazy--you'd think that a red alert meant danger, but it meant that the whole school needed to appear like it was a normal school! The details are amazing.
3. During the practical CoveOps final Cammie gets mock-kidnapped (but it's really realistic). Her townie boyfriend sees it and comes after her to save her, not knowing that she's already escaped and working with her whole class to retrieve a disc. He crashes through the warehouse wall with a fork life. Brilliant.

No comments: