Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Haunted Bridge

I love Nancy Drew. I grew up on them. My mom read them when she was a girl and she saved them and gave them to me. I read them all the time when I was young, so I started reading immediately when i found a box of them in the basement. This is one of those series where it doesn't matter what order you read them in, so I started with this one, because it was one of my favorites. It's in my top three Nancy Drew books.

Summary: Nancy and her friends, Bess and George, accompany Carson Drew to a resort where he is working on a case. Nancy says that she'll help him on his case, but at the same time, she picks up a mystery of her own--a haunted bridge. Soon she discovers that the two may be connected. Along the way she plays in a golf tournament, meets a rather annoying man with a knack for changing his penmanship, and gets the boys to come for a visit.

Other: The good thing about this one, is that regardless of the fact that I must have read it a million times as a kid, I couldn't remember the end, so I was pleasantly surprised with the happy ending. However, being older as I read this, Nancy really is pretentious and whiny goody-two-shoes. It kind of annoyed me. However, once I got over that, I was able to enjoy the rest of the book.

Favorite parts:
1. Nancy wins the golf competition, even though she is injured.
2. Nancy finds a mysterious chest with a beautiful compact inside.
3. At the end long lost lovers are reunited (I'm a sap, what can I say?).

No comments: