Saturday, January 26, 2008

What My Mother Doesn't Know

This is a novel expertly told through poems. It was entrancing. I read it in one sitting, and the next day went to the library to get other books by this author.

Summary: The book follows Sophie after she breaks up with one boyfriend and starts dating a second. But she much watch herself because every time she's not paying attention she starts imagining herself kissing Murphy, the class loser.

Other: This book doesn't sound very deep, and I didn't expect it to. I had very low expectations for the plot because I didn't understand how a book of poems could tell a story. I was so surprised when I finished the book. The plot is great, it talks about about boys, and feelings, and problems and home. There's a lot here, and I wouldn't miss a word of it if I were you.

Favorite Parts:
1. Sophie goes on vacation at home, since her family isn't actually taking a vacation.
2. Murphy sends Sophie a post card.
3. Murphy finds Sophie skating and tells her that he doesn't care if she chooses popularity over him.
4. Sophie makes her choice.

No comments: