Saturday, January 26, 2008

Over Sea, Under Stone

There is a The Dark Is Rising movie. I haven't seen it, but I'll watch it once I finish the series. This is the only one I've read so far, but when my roommate saw me reading them, she quickly read all five books in the series in about a weekend. So, on a hunch, I'd say the whole series is pretty good.

Summary: Simon, Jane and Barney Drew find an old (and I mean old!) map in a secret room while they are on holiday in Cornwall. They're Great Uncle Merry tells them that this is a map to the grail of King Arthur. The only way to fight the rising evil is to get to it before their enemies. So they're off on an adventure.

Other: The writing is a bit dated, but the story is timeless, and worth some of the old fashioned behaviors of the characters.

Favorite Parts:
1. When the children find the map
2. When Barney gets kidnapped and the dog rescues him, but not in the way you would think.
3. The final step of the map, which leads.... over sea and under stone (duh!).
4. The final confrontation with the doers of evil.

No comments: