Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

Story: Sylvester finds a magic pebble, that will grant any wish you make when you are holding it. But he mistakenly turns himself into a rock. No longer able to hold the pebble, will he be stuck as a rock forever?

Pictures: William Steig is a pretty respected illustrator, but I'm not a huge fan. Even though they are not my style there is not denying that they are much better than a lot of the stuff that's out there.

Thoughts: William Steig is REALLY respected and has won all sorts of awards. However, I don't love most of the stuff he's done. A lot of the stuff that he has written is older, so I hope that's why I don't connect with it. It's not bad, it's just not for me. This book feels a bit didactic at the end, but overall, it's probably my favorite of all of Steig's work.

No comments: