Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Vampire's Assistant

Well, I couldn't put down the first one, and I couldn't put down this one either. It is every bit as interesting as the first. Still just as funny, compelling, and heartbreaking. J'adore le Cirque du Freak. My French never was any good, but these books are!!

Summary: Darren Shan is learning about being a half-vampire, but there is one thing that he won't do: drink human blood. But without it he'll die. Darren tries to ignore this choice as he spends time with the Cirque du Freak (Mr. Tall is happy to have them back!), makes friends with a human boy and the Cirques own snake boy, and tries to stop R.V., an environmental warrior, from causing the Cirque problems.

Other: I'm not one to push religion, but this book does briefly talk about it. However, the book is clearly fiction. Also, its a bit dark and scary at times. I don't believe in banning books, but because of some of the content in this book, I would suggest reading it with young children who want to read it and then talking about it afterwards.

Favorite parts:
1. When Sam saves Darren's life.
2. The collapsible cookware--it was one of those really creative details that reminded me of the brilliance of Harry Potter.
3. When Darren performs in the Cirque Du Freak.

Buy it!

2 comments:

Moserie said...

You do realize that says BUT IT, not BUY IT. You make me laugh girlie.

SAO said...

Fixed by the genius I am!