Saturday, September 6, 2008

Twilight

This book has a lot of fans and a lot of hype, so clearly I have to add my two cents. Actually, I bought this book back in November, because the back was intriguing. A girl falling for a Vampire who lusts for her blood? Fantastic. I bought it and read it before I realized how much of a phenomenon it is. So, clearly, there is a lot to talk about here.

First, what's it really about? Bella moves in with her father and at school meets a boy named Edward Cullen. He is tense around her always, like he hates her, but she can't help but fall in love with him. Well, it turns out he actually loves her too, but he's a vampire and the scent of her blood is the beautiful blood he has ever smelled. They are in love, but soon another vampire meets Bella and he wants her blood. Edward and his vampire family (who are all gorgeous by the way) fight to protect Bella from the other vampire.

Alright, I LOVED this book when I first read it. Sure it was really cheesy, but it made me giggle and was exciting, and Bella is actually a really interesting narrator. Plus, the premise is kind of great. This isn't a great piece of literature by any means, but it is a fun read. I don't think it deserves all the hype it's getting. Seriously, the story flows well and is anything but boring, but there isn't much conflict between Bella and Edward. It all happens so fast. They meet, he's a vampire, oh and now they're in love. There are plenty of other books that deserve the hype this book is getting.

As for what comes next, there are a few things to mention. First, the series is growing, which should be obvious because Meyer would be stupid to stop writing about Bella and Edward with the fan-base she's got. I just bought the second novel and am excited to read it. There are two other books in the series out, the last having come out recently (within the last month, I think). I will buy them when they come out in paperback or try to get them from the library. I'm excited to read this story, but not excited enough to pay hardback price.

Finally.... the MOVIE!!!! It's coming out November 21st and I'm very excited to see how it turns out. It might be total crap, but I'm hoping that it's not. They have a female director, so if the film is any good, it might do good things for women in the film industry. I'm mixed on the casting. Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen: FANTASTIC. Kristen Stewart, I'm not so sure about. However, the girl CAN act, and that is what is most important. I am very excited to see how this shapes up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'M SO PISSED ABOUT HP6!!