Sunday, September 7, 2008

Stop in the Name of Pants!

I was very excited for this book to come out, but only just managed to buy and read it 2 months after it was released. Which brings me two months closer to the release of the next one, which I can't wait for. A recap on the series: Basically, Georgia writes a diaries about her first encounters with boys. The main three are the Sex God, Robbie, who left her to study the environment in New Zealand, but eventually came back for her. The Luuurve God, aka The Italian Stallion or Masimo, who took over for Robbie as lead singer of The Stiff Dylans when Robbie went to New Zealand. And Dave the Laugh, who was originally a red herring to make Robbie jealous, but who Georgia can't stop kissing or thinking about even when she was dating Robbie or Masimo. All throughout there are her hilarious friends and don't forget Wet Lindsay, the annoying girl who always dates the same guys as Georgia.

This novel starts after Georgia becomes Masimo's official girlfriend, but when he goes to Italy for a month, she kisses Dave the Laugh (who has a girlfriend!). There is a lot of romantic tension between Georgia and Dave the L, but the beginning is honestly, kind of slow. It really got good during the last 100 pages, when Masimo gets back. Lindsay is trying to break up Masimo and Georgia because she is spiteful and Masimo gets jealous when he keeps finding Georgia with Dave the L. He doesn't even know about the kiss. It all escalates at the end when Dave the L and Masimo go out to fight over Georgia, leaving me ACHING for the next installment.

I didn't like Masimo when he was first introduced, but he really comes alive as a love interest for Georgia. But I still love Dave the Laugh. I'm sure that this isn't the best idea for the target audience, but what I want to see is Georgia continuing to date Masimo, while having Dave the L on the side. I love her developing relationship with her mom and Sven is also one of my favorite characters. I think a real confrontation with Wet Lindsay would be amazing to read. In the end, really, I want Georgia to get with Dave the Laugh. I think that this will happen, but probably not until the very last book. I want more books, so I suppose I'm okay with Rennison dragging the story out some more as long as there is some more really good D the L snogging in them.

And...... MOVIE TIME. July saw the release of Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging, an adaptation of the first novel. I have finally got around to (trying to) watch it. I made it ten minutes. You may like it, but I couldn't stand it. I didn't like the way it was directed, I didn't like the writing. Part of what made Georgia so funny in the books is how whiney and melodramatic she is, but in the film it just came off annoying. I also forget how young all the characters are in the books, and trying to watch the movie made me feel old. There was a lot of good casting (some not so hot, like Mr. and Mrs. Nicholson, Libby, and Dave the L), but all of the acting felt wrong. All in all, I didn't like it and hope it hasn't ruined the books for me.

No comments: