Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Story of Babar

Story: Babar is a baby elephant who, after his mother is killed by hunters, runs away to the city. Here he meets a wealthy old woman who takes care of him, and teaches him to love clothing. His cousins come to visit and she buys them close too. Then he returns with them in his little car (although, I'd like to see the LITTLE car that can fit an elephant), takes his cousin Celeste as his wife, and is crowned King of all the elephants.

Pictures: I expected more of the pictures. They weren't terrible. I would go so far as to say they were good, but they were not a style I enjoyed. However, if the story had been better, the pictures would have been more acceptable.

Thoughts: This book is a classic, with many sequels and it has been turned into a television program (that I liked as a child). However, this book did not appeal to me at all when I read it. It was boring, pretentious, and unrealistic. Besides the mother dying in the very beginning, nothing bad happens. Babar is just handed everything. And I think the old lady was taken advantage of by Babar.

No comments: