Sunday, February 10, 2008

Abel's Island

This book won a Newbery Honor. However, that doesn't mean I have to like it. It wasn't terrible (how could it, I mean it did get a Newbery Honor, and even if I don't always agree with their choices, they never pick books with no value). It was okay. As a survival story there are so many better ones (The Hatchet, Brian's Winter, My Side of the Mountain, etc). The main character is pompous and after spending a year in isolation on an island, you would think he would change more than he did at the end of the book.

Summary: After a freak storm, Abel's foolish decisions cause him to be stranded on an island in the middle of a river. As an upper class mouse who has never held any sort of job, will he be able to count on himself to survive the island?

Other: The main character was so annoying that if I hadn't been reading it for a class, I wouldn't have finished the book (and I almost never stop in the middle of a book).

Favorite Parts:
1. Abel almost gets eaten by an owl.
2. Abel almost gets eaten by an owl again.
3. Abel is so afraid of the owl he doesn't leave his hollow log home for most of winter.

No comments: